Akutaq Ice Cream Dessert Recipe:
Recipe Type: Desert, Regional Specialty
Cuisine: Alaska (Alaskan Native-Indigenous People)
Yields: Serves Many
Prep Time: 15 min
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water, berry juice, or 2 cups loose snow (optional)
- 4 cups fresh berries (blueberries, cloudberries, cranberries, salmon berries, or blackberries) **
*Criso solid vegetable shortening is preferred.
**Use one or more different types of berries.
***Traditionally, Alaskan natives like to add red or white salmon to the Akutaq or eat it along with smoked salmon strips. Make sure to remove small bones in the salmon meat if added to the Akutaq.
- In a large bowl, cream vegetable shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add water, berry juice, or snow and beat until well combined.
- Fold in berries, 1 cup at a time, until blended.
- Place in freezer to firm up before blending.